Linked Events

• E3 2006: Nintendo Conference: May 09, 2006

Author Topic: Nintendo Press Conference  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Link-NM

• Hero of Time
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2973-5077
  • Nintendo Network ID: Link-NM
Nintendo Press Conference
« on: May 09, 2006, 01:25:23 PM »
The Press Conference from Nintendo is on May 9. This will be the moment where all about Wii will be unveiled to the world. The conference begins at 9:30am Pacific Time (-8 hrs).

Live Video of Press Conference:

Posted on: May 08, 2006, 01:03:40 pm
Conference just finished, here's a summary of what happened:
  • Various videos of Wii games in action including: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Red Steel, Excite Truck, and Super Mario Galaxy.
  • Zelda TP, will be released at the same time as Wii.
  • Wii will be released in the last quarter of 2006, no specific date was given.
  • There will be two versions of Zelda TP, one for Gamecube and one for Wii
  • It was shown how Zelda TP, will work in Wii. A fairy will work as your pointer, and help you aim arrows and boomerangs.
  • Final Controller shown: The edges are now round and the controller will have a speaker.
  • Red Steel was shown and played.
  • New Nintendo Franchises: Proyect H.A.M.M.E.R., Excite Truck, and Disaster.
  • Talked about how the DS is being succesful.
  • Video with upcoming DS games including: Starfox DS, Diddy Kong Racing, Yoshi Island 2, and Mario vs. Donkey Kong: March of the Minis.
  • WiiSports as a launch title.
  • WiiConnect 24: Wii can always be connected to the Internet to bring new content, even while you sleep or aren't playing. "A system that is new everyday" -Iwata
  • Sweepstakes winner played WiiSports (Tennis) with Iwata, Reggie, and Miyamoto.
  • Wii will be playable in the next days of E3.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:40:37 PM by Link »
Cards: ShowHide

Offline Don Brian

• Poe
  • "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Press Conference
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 06:36:36 PM »
What didn't you like ?
C'mon! don't tell me you LOVED the whole thing!!  :o hehe
DonBrian. ;)

Offline Link-NM

• Hero of Time
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 09:31:54 PM »
Well, compared to Sony's Press conference, this one was a lot better, but comparing it to Nintendo's Press Conference from the previous year, it was somewhat dissapointing (although not now, after the big announcement of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which is what I was one of the things I was expecting most).

PS: What I really hated, you ask? Not being the winner of the sweepstakes and getting the chance to play Wii.

Offline Mephistopheles

• Space Pirate
  • The hells froze over
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 02:14:46 PM »
You can't get Link to say something bad about Nintendo, I've tried, he always evades the question with a comparison about something that was worse.

It was boring (and I don't care if Sony's was more boring), specially when they stopped showing the games and started to brag about DS selling a lot, I mean, I don't care how much it sells, I don't work for you!

The speaker in the controller seems... stupid.

The controller does seem to be quite good in general, specially for FPSs.

I don't know you guys, but as I like to play games, I hate watching someone else playing, it's good that they show their games, but I just don't like to see how someone else plays and I don't.

They said "Wii" and "We" enough times to want to kill them.
I don't need luck, I have skill.

Offline G

• Gordo
  • Yeah! =P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 02:33:55 PM »
   I like the controler very much---it seems funny and costumizable. ^^   I'll enjoy a lot swinging it as a sword and playing something like that, or maybe FPS action, etc.

Wii is a funny name, too, to me. =P    Before I buy Wii from Nintendo, I would like to know if it is compatible with past/previous Nintendo consoles [like Game Cube, N64, etc]...

@Mephistopheles: I don't dislike watching other peolple playing VG instead of me, but I prefer a lot more playing them, lol.
Learn and follow, wait and lead;
tasted water, heard the wind.

Offline Don Brian

• Poe
  • "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 03:54:05 PM »
I think that the new controller is nice , but c'mon , think of our big fat friends on our neighbor country!! If they play tennis they'll sweat like pigs .. heheh , not cool if you ask me...

And i remember messing with Link down at Junior High about how bad was GCN haha and as you say , he never admitted that Nintendo wasn't that cool! So , it's OK Link , let's face it , Nintendo is NOT that good... and please do not compare it with other systems..

DonBrian. ;)

Offline Link-NM

• Hero of Time
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 08:01:56 PM »
I know the GCN was bad, last of the bad actions done by Yamauchi. But since Iwata is the president Nintendo has been getting better and back to it's ol' first place in VGs. The DS is a great example of how good Nintendo is getting.

PS: Even Reggie has stated that the GCN wasn't cool.

I think that the new controller is nice , but c'mon , think of our big fat friends on our neighbor country!! If they play tennis they'll sweat like pigs .. heheh , not cool if you ask me...

Do you think any fat person who's a fan of Starwars, would let pass away the oportunity of a light-saber game? I think they won't.

It won't be that much of excercise, more than the current-gen of gaming, but not a lot more.
Posted on: May 13, 2006, 07:56:36 pm
It was boring (and I don't care if Sony's was more boring), specially when they stopped showing the games and started to brag about DS selling a lot, I mean, I don't care how much it sells, I don't work for you!

LOL, first thing in the Sony Conference was, bragging about how much PS2 has sold in the world.
Posted on: May 13, 2006, 07:58:28 pm
Before I buy Wii from Nintendo, I would like to know if it is compatible with past/previous Nintendo consoles [like Game Cube, N64, etc]...

Wii is backwards compatible with Gamecube discs, and will also feature Virtual Console, which means that you'll be able to download games from: N64, SNES, NES, Sega Genesis, and Turbo-Graphix 16.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 08:14:59 PM by Link »

Offline Gamemaniac

• Darkness assasination
  • Gordo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 03:22:39 AM »
Well.... It's the first time I see what an E3 conference looks like ... I was a bit dissapointed `cause I expecte way more of a show .... yet it was pretty much exiting to see wii in action ... even if I wasn't playing XP ...

I do believe it was more exiting than Sony conference yet, while they weren't showing games it kinda felt boring... After the LoZ:TP thing I couldn't stand much of it ... I stoped watching at the same time Mephistopheles did (we were watching it through my Lap top)...

The only thing that surprised me enough was that the stage had hidden doors for stage persons to go in and out 0.o.... Don't know if they were also used for the Sony Conference...

Regardign the exercise... any fan will do what he has to do in order to pley good games ...
Think of the arcades ... the arcade fans do that kind of activities think about DDR or Pump it up... Actual just as I saw great potential on the DS for common online flash games... I see in Wii a great opportunity to bring sim arcades home and for only a mere initial cost...

I'm also looking forward for wii to come and for SBB and TLoZ:TP ... and anything else .... can't wait for Wii to come ...T.T ... too much time before I'll get my Wii...

Now regarding wheter nintendo is the coolest or not .... well I sometimes feel like a hardcore Nintendo fan yet I try to be open minded and objective... so to answer to sucha question I'll say that Nintendo is like a neurosurgeon while Sony whould be a General Medic and Microsoft a only an intern...
Nintendo is fully into VG and that's all it cares for ... as for Sony and Microsoft ... well they are not only into VG... they got all other stuff to care of so ... Even if Microsft and Sony can come up as competence for Nintendo; I wouldn't trust my brain to let say a dentist (I don't intend to offend anyone with this analogy).
As I recall my sources (wish might not be that tust worthy) told me the only company to get real income from last gen consoles was nintendo with the GCN... So I don't think of it as a mistake but as a step towards Wii. Even the not so good things of GCN where needed to come up with Wii. After all it is a revolution and as such it is needed some suffering to promote the movement towards revolution.

So after all... I do think that as far as VG goes ... Nintendo is the most experience and focus ...

PS:
Even if I'm posting (I couldn't resist XD)... I still be in Undead mode 'till the graduation process is completed ... yet I'll be back soon to refresh this "withering" tree ... XP ...

Sorry for any spelling or grammar errors ... it's around 3:30am here where I live .... XP
Even when the light comes there will be shadows to live in...
You'll never get rid of me...
Your fear is my energy and your blood is mine to take.

Offline Mephistopheles

• Space Pirate
  • The hells froze over
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 11:30:29 AM »
You're not even paying attention to what i say, so I won't answer you Link.

Man, I always get impressed by the ridiculously crazy hours at which you post Gamemaniac.

Now, you're saying excercise is bad? it may be a simulator and all, but I can bet you, whatever you want, that you won't sweat even half, even a quarter than what you sweat when you play Tennis in real life.
If you haven't played Tennis, you might need to in order to get this, you sweat too much, you run a lot plus actually hitting a ball, my arm hurt the first week, in the game you'll just walk a little (if any, I don't think the sensor will get used for movement, the directions should do that) and swing the controller a little, if you had to run like in real tennis, you'll need a bigger house.
I don't need luck, I have skill.

Offline Link-NM

• Hero of Time
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 03:41:38 PM »
I do believe it was more exiting than Sony conference yet, while they weren't showing games it kinda felt boring... After the LoZ:TP thing I couldn't stand much of it ... I stoped watching at the same time Mephistopheles did (we were watching it through my Lap top)...

You missed some good amount of information, such as WiiConnect24. Or seeing in action WiiSports (Tennis) in a game of 4 players, that was also another very interesting part of the conference.

The only thing that surprised me enough was that the stage had hidden doors for stage persons to go in and out 0.o.... Don't know if they were also used for the Sony Conference...

Nintendo conference was in Kodak Theater in the main stage(the one that is biggest) and all of the tickets were sold, so the hall was full. I don't know where the one from Sony was held, but it was in a totally different place and much smaller.

Click here for our Discord chat